Warning: Reader discretion advised

Some works of fiction presented on this site contain foul language, descriptions of sexual situations and descriptions of graphic violence against humans, aliens and zombies. These stories are not intended for children, for Tim's mom or for anyone offended by filth.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Week 02 notes: Settlers of Catan fan fiction

A recent article in the Wall Street Journal says German board game Settlers of Catan is all the rage among cool kids and CEO-types in Silicon Valley. I've been playing it too—a couple times a month at my friend Darrell's house.

Amid all the trading of wheat and sheep, I had to stop and wonder if Darrell and those CEOs ever stopped thinking about strategy long enough to consider the people who live in those tiny buildings and work tirelessly to deliver their precious resources.

It's a rough life, probably a lot like the ones in this week's story.

If you've never played Settlers, I'd encourage you to check it out. And I apologize if this story doesn't make any sense to you.

Also, I was messing around with the currently no-frills site and added a banner graphic. I stuck those labels on a stack of old manuscripts from my undergraduate creative writing classes. That bag of papers is a haunting reminder of my creative shortcomings in post-collegiate adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment